Friday, January 16, 2009

My Name is Ron and I'm a Legalist


I did not have my quiet time this morning and I haven't been praying like I should, my performance has been sub par, but that's okay!...what?
I am a legalist, at least I have legalistic tendencies. Even though nothing that I "do" can save me or put me in better standing with God. I come to God not on my merit at all, even though I tend to forget that. The only reason that I can approach God at all is because of Jesus' merit, there is absolutely nothing that I can do to improve on that or to take away from that!
Jesus purchased my life even before my life was in existence, it's all about His grace alone, not on any merits or demerits, as Jerry Bridges puts it.
Be encouraged, even if you missed your quiet time this morning and your prayer life is lackluster. Know that it is not about your performance, it's about Jesus and His performance..believe me we don't have a chance of competing with that! So for all of my fellow legalists out there, relax and rest in Jesus! I'm so very thankful for the amazing grace of God!

I have found a great deal of encouragement in this area from Jerry Bridge's new devotional "Holiness Day by Day" it's a great way to practice preaching the gospel to yourself everyday!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The one thing we must do is believe and put our trust in Jesus, but doesn't it ‘feel’ better when we do what is right?

John 14:15 "If you love me, you will keep my commandments. (ESV)

Ron Reffett said...

Absolutely, don't misunderstand. I'm not advocating a hyper-grace relationship with God, I'm only saying that so many times we base our standing with God on how we feel or whether or not we had our quiet time. We obviously will want to do the things that please our Father, it's just that these things are not what we are to put our trust in for our right standing with God.
Sorry for any misunderstanding on this post.
Blessings
Ron

Dan Waugh said...

No apologies necessary. I read Lloyd Jones say once if you aren't accused of antinomianism on occasion, you probably aren't preaching a gospel of grace!